Aug 16, 2016

Our California Adventure Day, Aquarium, Lighthouse, Balboa Island, In-N-Out, and more beach time

Day 3 we got up early to make it to the Aquarium of the Pacific. It was about an hour away and we wanted to get there close to when it opened before it got crowded. It was so much fun, as soon as we walked in there was a huge wall where we could see what type of fish lived in the beach we had spent the last two days swimming in. I was amazed at how large some of those bass can get! The whole aquarium was an awesome experience. I got to touch a shark, rays, and a horseshoe crab. I was a little nervous but got brave and did it. The horseshoe crab was my favorite. They are known as living fossils. Warren didn't want to touch most of the fish but he did have a good time getting stamps in his book  and seeing all the fish. We got to watch an otter show and they are still one of my all-time favorite animals. The jellyfish exhibit was also so amazing! There are so many different types of jellyfish. I am so glad we made the drive up to Long Beach to visit the aquarium.



Zack touching a sting ray.

I actually touched a shark!




Horseshoe crabs, a living fossil. These animals are so cool.

The pictures do not do the aquarium justice. It is beautiful and the exhibits are amazing.

These three are such good buddies.

Amazing jellyfish



This is Warren giving me the "Naughty Mommy lecture" I did not see a sign that said no flash photography but he did.

This tank had a five foot shark and so many cool fish.



Warren experiencing what blubber is like.



After the aquarium we had a picnic lunch near a lighthouse, where our view included the Queen Mary then drove back to our camp. On the way home we stopped at Balboa Island for a frozen banana, a balboa bar, and visited a taffy shop. Zack and I used to watch the O.C. when we were dating and first married and driving down the Pacific Coast Highway through Newport, and visiting Balboa Island brought back different things that we remembered from the show. I was geeking out a little even though none of the places we visited we in the show that we remembered, just implied. We got our frozen banana and balboa bar from the store that advertises that they were the place with the original frozen banana which they started selling in  the 40's I think. We then went to a candy shop and found all sorts of different flavors of taffy to try, which Warren ended up sneaking and eating so I only tried a couple. I guess I will just have to go back and get more another time and get more taffy and window shop without lots of little hands. The drive was so nice, we got to see Huntington Beach and there were several events going on as we past by, as well as several other  beaches that I can't remember their names now. I was excited to drive down part of the Pacific Coast Highway as it helps me cross another thing off my bucket list and make more memories. I still want to drive from Washington down to Southern California all on the One. Someday.

Such a nice picnic spot and the kids got to play Pokemon Go and see the pier so it was a win-win-win-win.


The Queen Mary in the background.

This is not where the O.C. was filmed but it made me think about the show and I got all excited.

mmmm frozen banana and a balboa bar.


Warren trying the frozen banana with everything on it, sprinkles, nuts, and so much more. It was good.


Oh and we found Pete the Cat so that requires a picture.

Shane offered to get dinner at In-N-Out and they stopped  by the Pirate Tower but we just kept going back to camp. Back and camp Zack and I played in the water for a while and enjoyed the ocean and its amazing views and sunsets. 


No comments: